Change of address on German ID cards


Changes of address can be done in person or via postal application.

At present changing your address in your ID Card is only possible via postal application.

Please send/ bring the following documents:

  • Your ID card
  • Most recent German local authority de-registration form (‘AbmeldebestätigungRecent proof of address in GB (e.g. council tax/ utility bill or bank statement)
  • A self-addressed Special Delivery envelope, pre-paid up to 500g (obtainable at any post office), if you wish the passport to be posted to you
  • Application form for change of address click here to download it

If you wish to change your address in person you can do so at the relevant mission, depending on your place of residence (see map).

Embassy London

Monday-Friday 8.15am-10.30am and Monday-Thursday 1:45pm-2.30pm (no appointment necessary).

Consulate General Edinburgh

Monday-Friday 9am-11.30am (no appointment necessary).

A change of address on your ID card is free of charge.

Top of page