If you live in the United Kingdom, possess British (or another) citizenship in addition to your German citizenship, and, for certain reasons, wish to renounce German citizenship, you must file an application via the Embassy in London or the Consulate General in Edinburgh.

The application form can be downloaded from the website (link below) of the competent citizenship authority, Federal Office of Administration (Bundesverwaltungsamt), where you will also find additional information on renunciation.

Please include the documents cited in the application in the required form and have your signature certified. The certification can also be carried out by a German Honorary Consul. To find out which of our missions is closest to you, please use our Consulate Finder.

Once submitted to the Embassy or Consulate General, your application will be forwarded to the Federal Office of Administration. If your renunciation is approved, a renunciation certificate will be issued to you. It will be handed over to you by the German foreign mission. The renunciation does not become effective until you personally accept and receive the certificate.

Please include your phone number and email address on your application form or accompanying letter, in case we need to reach you.

Although the information on this website has been prepared with utmost care, we cannot accept any responsibility for inaccuracies contained herein.

Top of page