Name declaration after divorce or death of a spouse

The name of a German national does not change automatically by divorce or death of a spouse. However, after the divorce or death of a spouse, it is possible to change the name back to the maiden name or a previous married name by name declaration.

In order to make a name declaration, please book an appointment on our website for a name declaration. On our website you can also find general information about the name declaration procedure. You must be present in person, since your signature has to be certified in order for the name declaration to become valid.

If you would like to submit your name declaration with one of our Honorary Consuls, please contact us beforehand:

Contact form Name Declarations at the Embassy in London

Contact form of the Consulate General in Edinburgh

At the appointment, the following documents are required as originals and one photocopy each:

  • Completed name declaration form (please write in capital letters in German and do not sign the declaration yet) which can be downloaded below
  • Your valid passports or German identity card (Personalausweis)
  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Proof that you bear a so called “married name” (Ehename) according to German law (name certificate from the German Registry Office, excerpt from the family book / Marriage Register or German marriage certificate)
  • Divorce decree absolute or death certificate of former spouse
  • Important for EU-divorces (except divorces in Denmark) after the 1 March 2003: Please provide a certificate referred to in Article 39 (Annex I) of Council Regulation (EC) No. 2201/2003 of 27 November 2003 concerning judgments in matrimonial matters (in UK: Form D 180) issued by the court where the marriage was dissolved
  • Naturalisation certificate for naturalised German nationals or “Staatsangehörigkeitsausweis” (if applicable)
  • Proof of residence in the UK (for example council tax bill or utility bill)
  • German deregistration certificate (Abmeldebescheinigung) from your last German place of residence or current registration certificate (Meldebescheinigung) from your most recent address in Germany
  • Translations of foreign documents (usually not required for English or “international” documents, for example international birth certificates)
  • Birth certificates (“full” version – stating the parents) for all your children. If the children were born in the UK, please bring along the first birth certificates, not a re-registration.
  • In case of a marriage registered in Germany, an extract of the family register or the marriage register

Depending on the case more documents can become necessary or may subsequently be requested by the competent registry office (Standesamt) in Germany. Some register offices will also ask for German translations of documents in English or Apostilles on foreign documents. You will be informed by email later on in the process if this will be necessary in your case.

In case you got divorced outside Europe, the divorce might need to be formally recognised in Germany which requires a further procedure. If necessary you will get informed and told how to start this process.

Top of page