Registration of a child’s birth

If your child is born in the United Kingdom, you have to register the birth with the local register office. German law does not require the registration at a German authority; you may use the British birth certificate when applying for a passport for the child.

If you want to have a German birth certificate for your child, you will need to register the birth in Germany.

If the German parent of the child was born outside Germany after the 31st December 1999, the child will only obtain German citizenship when its birth is registered in Germany before the child’s first birthday.

In order to register the birth of your child, please book an appointment for a name declaration/birth registration on our website. There, you can also find general information about the procedure.

If you would like to submit your application for birth registration with one of our Honorary Consuls or in cases involving surrogacy, please contact us beforehand:

Contact form Name Declarations at the Embassy in London

Contact form of the Consulate General in Edinburgh

In German law a child whose parents are married at the time of the child’s birth and who bear a married name (Ehename) will obtain the parents’ married name as birth name. In cases where the parents are married, but do not have a married name, or when the parents are not married and another name as the mother’s surname is desired as the child’s surname, the parents will have to make a name declaration as part of the birth registration. Please refer to the “name declaration” leaflet for further information.

At the appointment, the following documents are required as originals and one photocopy each:

  • Completed form (please write in capital letters in German and do not sign the form yet) which can be downloaded below (available in German only)
  • Valid passports for both parents (or German identity card/Personalausweis)
  • Birth certificates of both parents
  • Child’s birth certificate (“full” version - stating the parents)
  • If you wish to make a name declaration by choosing the foreign law of one parent (see name declaration leaflet, nr. 4), proof that the child bears the intended name under the law of the respective country (passport or birth certificate issued by the authorities of that country)
  • If you are married: your marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree absolute for divorcees
  • Naturalisation certificate for naturalised German nationals or “Staatsangehörigkeitsausweis” if you have one
  • Proof of residence in the UK (for example council tax bill or utility bill)
  • German deregistration certificate (Abmeldebescheinigung) from your last German place of residence or current registration certificate (Meldebescheinigung) from your most recent address in Germany
  • Translations of foreign documents (usually not required for English or “international” documents, for example international birth certificates)
  • Birth certificates (“full” version - stating the parents) of all other children of the parents including older siblings
  • Name certificates of siblings, if applicable

Depending on the case more documents can become necessary or may subsequently be requested by the relevant register office (Standesamt) in Germany. Some register offices will also ask for German translations of documents in English or Apostilles on foreign documents. You will be informed by email later on in the process if this will be necessary in your case.

Your application will then be forwarded to the competent registry office (Standesamt) in Germany, where it will be processed. The register office in Germany will charge a fee for initiating the procedure and issuing the birth certificate. The fee amounts to about 80-120 Euros. You will have to pay the fee directly to the register office in Germany (you will receive an email regarding the fees or an invoice during the process).

Please note that the German Missions in the United Kingdom cannot predict how long this process will take. Processing times may vary considerably depending on the complexity of the case and the individual registrar’s office and might take several months up to 3 years (if you have never lived in Germany).

Top of page