Biometric passports and ID cards can only be applied for in person upon appointment since fingerprints are required. It is no longer possible to extend existing passports or ID cards. Biometric passports/ID cards are printed at the Federal Printing Office in Berlin.
You can keep your existing passport/ID card during processing time, if you need to travel and the passport or ID-card is still valid
Biometric passports/ID cards issued to applicants under 24 are valid for 6 years; for applicants over 24 the validity is 10 years.
Please note that your application can only be accepted if the documents below are complete. If the documentation is incomplete you might have to make a new appointment.
The following is required for an application:
(Please provide the original and one photocopy per document)
- Application form
Passport application Form PDF / 113 KB
- Current Passport and/or identity card
- Full (‘unabridged’) Birth certificate (if in another language, please also provide a translation into German or English)
- Marriage certificate/extract of German family book, if applicable (if in another language, please provide a German or English translation of the certificate)
- Confirmation of name declaration, if applicable (see below for more information)
- German naturalisation certificate, if applicable
- PHD certificate, if applicable and if you wish to have your title (“Dr”) entered in the passport
- De-registration form (‘Abmeldebestätigung’) from your last local authority (only applicable if the last place of residence was in Germany or if a German place of residence is still shown in the passport)
- Recent proof of address in the UK (e.g. council tax/ utility bill or bank statement)
- Two recent, identical, biometric passport photos with a bright background. click here for information on new passport photo regulations
- Special delivery envelope (self-addressed and pre-paid up to 500g - obtainable at any post office), if postal delivery is preferred
- Fingerprints for biometric passports, to be taken at the time of application