Biometric passports and ID cards can only be applied for in person upon appointment since fingerprints are required. It is no longer possible to extend existing passports or ID cards. Biometric passports/ID cards are printed at the Federal Printing Office in Berlin.
You can keep your existing passport/ID card during processing time, if you need to travel and the passport or ID-card is still valid
Biometric passports/ID cards issued to applicants under 24 are valid for 6 years; for applicants over 24 the validity is 10 years.
Please note that your application can only be accepted if the documents below are complete. If the documentation is incomplete you might have to make a new appointment.
The following is required for an application:
(Please provide the original and one photocopy per document)
- Application form
Passport application form (over age of 18) PDF / 614 KB
- Current Passport and/or identity card
- Full (‘unabridged’) Birth certificate (if in another language, please also provide a translation into German or English)
- Marriage certificate/extract of German family book, if applicable (if in another language, please provide a German or English translation of the certificate)
- Confirmation of name declaration, if applicable (see below for more information)
- German naturalisation certificate, if applicable
- PHD certificate, if applicable and if you wish to have your title (“Dr”) entered in the passport
- De-registration form (‘Abmeldebestätigung’) from your last local authority (only applicable if the last place of residence was in Germany or if a German place of residence is still shown in the passport)
- Recent proof of address in the UK (e.g. council tax/ utility bill or bank statement)
- Two recent, identical, biometric passport photos with a bright background. click here for information on new passport photo regulations
- Special delivery envelope (self-addressed and pre-paid up to 500g - obtainable at any post office), if postal delivery is preferred
- Fingerprints for biometric passports, to be taken at the time of application
Applicants can file their passport application with the Embassy in London, the Consulat Generale in Edinburgh, as well as with the Honorary Consuls in Aberdeen, Cardiff, Leeds, Liverpool, Plymouth, Southampton and Newcastle.
If one of the following applies to you, you may have to do a name declaration before applying for a passport:
- You got married and would like to apply for a passport in your new name
- You got divorced and you would like to apply for a passport in your previous name
Last passport issued in London or Manchester?
Even if your last passport was issued in London or the former General Consulate in Manchester you will have to apply for a new passport in person. If for medical reasons it is not possible to apply in person you might be entitled to apply for a temporary passport by post. In any case, please contact the passport section beforehand.
Since we are now filing all applications electronically we ask you to bring the above mentioned documents (apart from the de-registration form) with you again.
Request an application form by post
The application form and other information concerning a passport application can also be requested directly from the Embassy. Kindly note that documents can only be forwarded when the applicants send us a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Requests without a self-addressed, stamped envelope cannot be processed.
Passport and ID card Section
Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany
1-6 Chesham Place, Belgrave Mews West
London SW1X 8PZ
Passport and ID card Section London
23 Belgrave Square
Phone: 020 7824 1426
Mondays– Thursdays: 11am- 12noon, 1.30-2.30pm
Passport and ID card collection (no appointment)
Contact us via email (please select the correct department from the drop-down menu)
Passport and ID card Section Edinburgh
16 Eglinton Crescent
Phone: 0131 337 2323
Telephone consultation hour: Mondays-Thursdays 2-3pm, Fridays 8-9am
Mon – Fri: 9.00am - 11.30am
Contact us via email (please select the Consulate General from the drop-down menu)
Please note: all passport applicants have to make an appointment and apply in person.