Since the production European passports can take up to several weeks, in case of proven emergencies the German Missions in the United Kingdom can issue a temporary passport in addition to the biometric European passport. A temporary passport is valid up to 1 year and will be invalidated upon receipt of the biometric European passport.
Generally, passport applicants are required to apply in person and by appointment. If for medical reasons it is not possible to apply in person you might be allowed to apply for a temporary passport by post. In any case, please contact the passport section beforehand.
PLEASE NOTE: some countries do not accept the temporary passport as valid travel document (e.g. no visa free entry to the USA). We therefore recommend you to check with the airline resp. with the country of destination before you apply.
The following is required for an application:
(Please provide the original and one photocopy per document)
- Proof of urgent travel or doctor’s certificate
- Application form (available for download on our website, completed in capital letters)
- Current Passport and/or identity card
- Birth certificate (if in another language, please provide a translation into German or English)
- Marriage certificate/extract of german family book, if applicable (if in another language, please also provide a translation into German or English)
- Confirmation of name change, if applicable
- German naturalisation certificate, if applicable
- PHD certificate, if applicable and if you wish to have your title entered in the passport
- De-registration form (‘Abmeldebestätigung’) from last local authority (only applicable if the last place of residence was in Germany or if a German place of residence is shown in the passport).
- Recent proof of address in UK (e.g. council tax/ utility bill or bank statement)
- Two recent, identical, biometric passport photos with a bright background. (Click here for information on new passport photo regulations).
- Special delivery envelope (self-addressed and pre-paid up to 500g - obtainable at any post office), if postal delivery is preferred.
- For applications for minors, please see the following notes:
If one parent cannot be present, the application can still proceed with just one parent attending, provided the absent parent gives consent using the form below.
In this case the consent form needs to be filled, signed and the signature of the absent parent as well as his/her passport copy certified by either a notary public or German honorary consul with seal.
If the absent parent is abroad the signature on the consent form and passport copy should be certified by a German Embassy or Consulate or, if in Germany, by an official local authority.
Please note that your application can only be accepted if the above documents are complete. If the documentation is incomplete you might have to make a new appointment.