Passport applications for persons over the age of 18


Biometric passports and ID cards can only be applied for in person upon appointment since fingerprints are required.

It is no longer possible to extend existing passports or ID cards. Biometric passports/ ID cards are printed at the Federal Printing Office in Berlin.

You can keep your existing passport/ ID card during processing time, if you need to travel and the passport or ID-card is still valid

Biometric passports/ ID cards issued to applicants under 24 are valid for 6 years; for applicants over 24 the validity is 10 years.

Please note that your application can only be accepted if the documents below are complete. If the documentation is incomplete you might have to make a new appointment.

The following is required for an application:


  • Application form
    Passport application form for persons over age of 18 PDF / 614 KB
  • Current passport and/ or ID-card (+ 1 photocopy)
  • Full (‘unabridged’) birth certificate (if in another language, please also provide a translation into German or English)
  • Copies of parents’ passports and marriages certificate (if over 18 years of age, born to a German parent and applying for the first time)
  • Marriage certificate/ extract of German family book, if applicable (if in another language, please provide a German or English translation of the certificate)
  • Confirmation of name declaration, if applicable (see below for more information)
  • Certificate of Naturalisation
    • German naturalisation certificate, if applicable (Have you been naturalised in Germany?)
    • British naturalisation certificate, if applicable (Have you been naturalised in UK?)
      • If the naturalisation in UK took place after 31.12.2020 (date on the certificate of naturalisation), we kindly ask you to also submit/ send the proof of the application in 2020 or a certificate of retention issued by the Federal Administration Office (BVA)
    • Certificate of naturalisation of any other country you have been naturalised, if applicable
  • PHD certificate, if applicable and if you wish to have your title (“Dr”) entered in the passport
  • De-registration form (‘Abmeldebestätigung’) from your last local authority (only applicable if the last place of residence was in Germany or if a German place of residence is still shown in the passport)
  • Recent proof of address in the UK (e.g. council tax/ utility bill or bank statement)
  • Two recent, identical, biometric passport photos with a bright background. Click here for information on passport photo regulations
  • Special delivery envelope (self-addressed and pre-paid up to 500g - obtainable at any post Office)
  • Fingerprints for biometric passports, to be taken at the time of application


Appointment booking

Applicants can file their passport application with the Embassy in London, the Consulat Generale in Edinburgh, as well as with the Honorary Consuls in Aberdeen, Barrow-upon-Humber, Belfast, Bristol, Cardiff, Leeds, Liverpool, Plymouth, Southampton and Newcastle.

Click here for more information.

Processing time

Passports/ ID cards are printed at the Federal Printing Office in Berlin and take between 4 and 6 weeks to be processed and issued. Expedited passport processing takes approximately 2 -3 weeks.

Name declarations

If one of the following applies to you, you may have to do a name declaration before applying for a passport:

You got married and would like to apply for a passport in your new name

You got divorced and you would like to apply for a passport in your previous name

Click here for more information

Last passport issued in London or Manchester?

Even if your last passport was issued in London or the former General Consulate in Manchester you will have to apply for a new passport in person. If for medical reasons it is not possible to apply in person you might be entitled to apply for a temporary passport by post. In any case, please contact the passport section beforehand.

Since we are now filing all applications electronically we ask you to bring the above mentioned documents (apart from the de-registration form) with you again.

Request an application form by post

The application form and other information concerning a passport application can also be requested directly from the Embassy. Kindly note that documents can only be forwarded when the applicants send us a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Requests without a self-addressed, stamped envelope cannot be processed.

Passport and ID card Section
Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany
1-6 Chesham Place, Belgrave Mews West
London SW1X 8PZ


Info sheet: Passport and ID Card applications for persons over the age of 18

Passport application form (over the age of 18)

Top of page