Passport applications for persons under the age of 18


Please note that since 1 January 2021 the children’s passport is only valid for 1 year, but will not be issued beyond the child’s 12th birthday.

There are two types of passports for minors:

  1. Biometric passports: biometric passports can be issued from birth onwards and are mandatory from the age of 12. We recommend applying for a European passport since some countries do not accept the simpler (non-biometric) children’s passport (Kinderreisepass). The biometric passport for minors is valid for 6 years and are printed at the Federal Printing Office in Berlin.
  2. Children’s passports (Kinderreisepässe): Children’s passports are simpler (non-biometric) types of passports which will usually be issued by the Mission whithin two days.  Children's passports have replaced the older, green version of paper travel documents (Kinderausweise) and are valid for 1 year but will not be issued beyond the child’s 12th birthday. With this passport you will not be able to enter the US without a visa.

Both types of passports can only be applied for in person (parents and child) upon appointment. Extensions of existing documents are no longer possible. Since 26 June 2012 every child needs their own German travel document. Entries in their parents’ passports are not valid anymore and will not allow them to travel. More Information in German here. You can keep your existing passport during processing time, if you need to travel and the passport is still valid.

Important for FIRST TIME APPLICATIONS: Sometimes it is necessary to do a name declaration before you can apply for the first passport for your child. Please read the information provided further down on this page.

If your child was adopted outside of Germany or in cases involving surrogacy please contact the department for name declaration before booking a passport appointment via the contact form.

ID cards can be applied for without parents’ consent from the age of 16 onwards.

Please note that your application can only be accepted if the documents below are complete. If the documentation is incomplete you might have to make a new appointment.

The following is required for an application:


  • Application form - see below for all downloads
  • Signatures are required as follows:
    • Children born to married parents: both parents
    • Children born out of marriage, if both parents have custody: both parents
    • Children of separated parents: the parent who has custody. Please provide the court custody order.
    • Children for whom a guardian has been appointed: the guardian.
  • If one parent cannot be present, the application can still proceed with just one parent attending, provided the absent parent gives consent using the form below. In this case the consent form needs to be filled, signed and the signature of the absent parent as well as his/ her passport copy certified by either a notary public or German honorary consul with seal. If the absent parent is abroad the signature on the consent form and passport copy should be certified by a German Embassy or Consulate or, if in Germany, by an official local authority.
  • Child’s current passport/ ID card, if applicable
  • Child’s birth certificate - the full birth certificate (‘unabridged’) containing details of parents is required. if in another language, please also provide a translation into German or English.
  • for children who were born after 01/01/2000 in Germany to foreign parents and who became German automatically by law (§ 4 Abs 3 of the German Nationality Act (Staatsangehörigkeitsgesetz) please provide a certificate from the German registry office where the child was born confirming the German citizenship(‘Auszug aus dem Geburtenregister’).
  • Valid passports/ identity cards of both parents.
  • Marriage certificate/ extract of family book if applicable (if in another language, please provide a German or English translation of the certificate)
  • If parents are not married, please provide: birth certificate of mother.
  • If applicable: child’s German naturalisation certificate or parent’s naturalisation certificate
  • If the child or one of the parents has made a name declaration, please bring the confirmation of name declaration.
  • Most recent German local authority de-registration form (‘Abmeldebestätigung’) – only if the last place of residence was in Germany or if a German place of residence is shown in the passport. Not applicable if the child was born abroad.)
  • Recent proof of address in the UK (e.g. council tax/ utility bill or bank statement)
  • Two recent, identical, passport photos with a bright background. From the age of 6, biometric photos are required. Please check information sheet for our requirements.
  • A self-addressed Special Delivery envelope (pre-paid up to 500g - obtainable at any post office)
  • Fingerprints (for European passports of children aged 6 and over), to be provided at the time of application at the Embassy.
  • Signature of the child (from age 10 onwards)


Appointment booking

Applicants can file their passport application with the Embassy in London, the Consulat Generale in Edinburgh, as well as with the Honorary Consuls in Aberdeen, Barrow-upon-Humber, Belfast, Bristol, Cardiff, Leeds, Liverpool, Plymouth, Southampton and Newcastle.

Click here for more information.

Name declarations

IMPORTANT: If you want to apply for your child’s first passport and one of the following statements is applicable to you, you may have to do a name declaration before you can apply for the passport:

  • You are married but you do not bear the same married name in your passports
  • You are not married and want to apply for your child’s passport in the father’s name
  • You and your spouse would like your new married name to be passed on to your child from a previous marriage.

Click here for more information.


Info sheet: Passport and ID card application for persons under the age of 18

Passport application form (under the age of 18)

Declaration of consent

Top of page