- You need to be a resident in the United Kingdom.
- You must be between 18 and 27 years of age at the time of application.
- You need to have basic German language skills; to be assessed on application interview
- The host family must communicate in German as first language
- You cannot apply as Au-Pair to related family Residence permit for an Au-Pair is issued for one year only.
Duration of employment minimum of 6 months but no more than 12 months
In order to find a suitable host family it is not necessary to use an agency although you may wish to do so.
- Completed application form for residence permit in duplicate
- Two passport-size colour photographs
- Au-Pair Contract, signed by both the Au-Pair and the host family (photocopy is sufficient). We recommend to use the standard contract form provided by the Federal Employment Agency (see link below)
- signed declaration confirming that you have received and read the leaflet "Au Pair bei deutschen Familien". Declaration form and leaflet to be downloaded via the website link below.
Processing time will be 6 to 10 weeks. Please apply well in advance by booking an appointment using the automated booking system. Please note there may be a short waiting time for an appointment depending on the time of year. You will be informed automatically when the residence permit has been authorised.