Only passports that have been issued (not extended!) during the past ten years can be endorsed with a visa. If your passport was issued more than 10 years ago, you will need a new passport before applying with us.
Visa Application at the Embassy in London
To apply for a Schengen visa please follow these steps:
- Book an appointment:
- Visit the VisaMetric visa application centre at:
VisaMetric Application Centre
30-40 Underwood Street
- You must bring your passport, completed application form and all other documents required according to this website. Please note that only applications with all supporting documents will be accepted.
Visa Application at the Consulate General in Edinburgh
To apply for a Schengen visa you need to book an appointment:
At the interview you have to present your passport, the completed application form (online Schengen visa application form) and all other documents required according to this website. Please note that only applications with all supporting documents will be accepted.
If you are a family member of an EU citizen wishing to apply for a residence permit or in need of an airport transit visa please read the information below.
Visa Information System
Since the introduction of the Visa Information System VIS, every applicant aged 12 years and over must apply in person in order to have fingerprints taken. Please book an appointment each in advance.
VIS The Visa Information System
The Visa Information System VIS is an IT system that allows Schengen States to exchange visa data. The main purpose of VIS is to simplify visa issuance processes, facilitate checks at border control and enhance security for everyone involved, including applicants.
The Schengen States’ Visa Information System has been operational since 11 October 2011. Separate rollout phases have been implemented gradually connecting more and more member states’ to VIS. In the UK this will commence on 20 November 2015.
VIS works by linking Schengen member state missions and border control units to VIS central database.
The introduction of VIS has necessitated various changes to Schengen visa application processes.
- First time applicants must apply in person in order to have biometric data taken, e.g. ten fingerprints and a digital photograph
- Finger scans stored in VIS can be reused for future applications within the following five year
- When entering Schengen territory border control will be able to verify each travellers identity by accessing VIS database