Compulsory placements are a required part of many academic courses. For some courses you have to complete an internship before starting the course itself in order to be granted admission. In other courses, such as engineering, students have to complete practical semesters.

Third country nationals (Non-EU/EEA nationals) may be granted a residence permit for a mandatory and/or sponsored placement/internship in Germany. This requires the approval (Zustimmung) of the Federal Employment Agency BA (Bundesagentur für Arbeit). This must be applied for in advance by the future employer/university.

Exceptions to the above:

1. Placement up to one year that needs an agreement (Einvernehmen) from the Federal Employment Agency BA (Bundesagentur für Arbeit) only, if:

  • for students or graduates of foreign universities within the framework of a verified international exchange programme operated by associations, public entities or student organisations
  • intended after the fourth semester of university studies abroad provided it is study related

2. Placement that does neither need approval nor agreement, if

  • within the framework of a programme funded by the EU or bilateral development cooperation
  • for skilled workers and managers being awarded a scholarship by German public funds or EU funds (government interns).
Top of page