Short stay visa for up to 90 days in a 180-day-period
Please read all the information carefully.
Applications presented to the wrong consulate or lacking documents/information that was mandatory as explained on our website might lead to longer processing times, rejection or refusal of your visa application.
The common 'Schengen' visa is for short stay (tourism, visit or business purpose) within the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
- As of 26 March 1995, foreigners travelling to one of the aforementioned countries may receive a visa for a short stay of 1 to 90 days (maximum), which is valid for all these countries.
- There is no legal right to a visa.
- The visa application has to be presented to the Schengen mission of main destination (determined by the purpose of the journey and the length of stay). If you wish to visit several countries and therefore cannot ascertain a main destination, please apply with the Schengen country of first entry.
- Depending on the purpose of travel, different documents are required. Additional documents or information may be requested at any time.
- Furthermore, you must hold a valid Residence Permit for the UK.
- Processing time for a visa is usually 2-4 working days in London and 5-10 working days in Edinburgh. For certain nationalities it may take up to 14 days.
- Other types of visa (airport-transit, medical treatment, special visa, visa for longer stay and visa for taking up employment) are still subject to the national legislation of the country of destination.