Change of address


It is easy to have your address changed in your German identity document (passport or ID card) by post. You do not need an in-person appointment for this.

Please send the following documents to the Passport Section:

  • Change of Address application form (can be found in the download centre)
  • Your identity document that needs changing (passport, ID card or both)
  • German de-registration form (Abmeldebescheinigung – if your last place of residence was in Germany or a German place of residence is still shown in the passport)
  • Proof of address in the UK (e.g. utility bill, council tax bill, bank statement, etc.)
  • Prepaid, self-addressed Special Delivery envelope (up to 500g; available at all post offices)

The change of address itself is free of charge.

Please send the documents listed above to one of the following addresses:

German Embassy London
Passport Section
23 Belgrave Square

German Consulate General Edinburgh
16 Eglinton Crescent
EH12 5DG

Top of page