D-Visa: Academic Purposes


The following provides you with information on visa requirements for academic purposes: visiting academics and researchers, study including semesters abroad and language courses.

British nationals do not require visas or residence permits for self-funded or scholarship-funded research, studies or language courses not exceeding 90 days within a 180-day period. This privilege also applies to all other nationals who do not require visas for visits not exceeding 90 days.

For any stay exceeding the time limit above or funded through employment, British citizens may apply to the local immigration office (Ausländerbehörde) for their residence permits after arrival in Germany and without having obtained a visa prior to travelling to Germany. Please note that you need to register your new residence (Anmeldung) with the authorities (Meldebehörde) within 2 weeks of having moved in and apply to the local immigration office (Ausländerbehörde) for your residence permit within the first 90 days of your stay in Germany. This privilege is also extended to citizens of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Korea (Republic) and the United States of America. We strongly recommend contacting the local immigration office as soon as possible after your arrival in Germany in order to secure a timely appointment. It is important to note that you may only take up employment once you have been issued a residence permit explicitly authorising such employment. This privilege is also extended to nationals of Andorra, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco and San Marino provided that their studies/ research are not funded through employment.

All other nationalities require a visa prior to travelling to Germany.

Top of page