Marriages in Germany and related matters


If you would like to get married in Germany, please contact the registry office at your or your fiancé(e)'s residence in Germany.

If neither you or your fiancé(e) live in Germany, the application for the marriage has to be filed with the registrar's office where you intend to marry.

The registrar's office will tell you which documents are required for your marriage in Germany. In many cases, foreign documents need to be translated or / and legalised. The Embassy does not provide any translation service.

If you are not a resident in Germany, you will probably be required to produce a certificate from the United Kingdom called “Ehefähigkeitszeugnis”. You can obtain this certificate from your local registry office at the place of your residence in the United Kingdom. Please request a certificate of non-impediment to marriage.

Top of page