8. Driving licence



Yes. Holders of a German driving licence can drive in the United Kingdom. An International Driving Licence is not currently required, according the UK Department for Transport.

German driving licence holders with permanent residence in the United Kingdom can also exchange their driving licence without having to take another driving test. You can use your German driving licence for as long as it is valid, subject to the British requirements regarding licence extensions. Under these rules, a driving licence has to be renewed either when the holder reaches the age of 70 or 3 years after the holder took up residence – whichever is the later date.

If you have any questions regarding your driving licence or your particular situation, please contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) directly: http://dvla.gov.uk

To find out more about the validity of foreign driving licences in the United Kingdom, there is a tool on the website of the British Government which enables you to check specifically what driving licence rules apply to you.

Yes. Holders of a British driving licence can drive in Germany if they are visiting temporarily (e.g. on holiday).

Important: An accompanying translation must be provided with British driving licences that do not meet the requirements set out in Annex 6 of the Convention on Road Traffic of 8 November 1968. The translation must be supplied by an internationally recognised motoring association in the issuing state (in the United Kingdom: the RAC or AA) or an agency specified by the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (German Driving Licence Ordinance Section 29 (2)).

Holders of a British driving licence with permanent residence in Germany must have their British driving licence re-registered as an EU/EEA driving licence within six months.

Definition of “taking up residence”: For driving licence purposes, a person is legally deemed to have taken up residence in Germany if he or she lives in Germany for at least 185 days of the year. You need to check the start date applicable to you, particularly in the case of Brexit, with the local driving licence authority.

Top of page