D-Visas: Study-related internship: “Studienfachbezogenes Praktikum”


Internships are considered employment under German law if they exceed 90 days within a year. Visas in this category are only available to students currently enrolled in a UK university and having completed a minimum of four semesters in their current course of study.

Visa-free travel

British students enrolled at a UK university do not require visas or residence permits for internships related to their current course of study provided they have already completed a minimum of four semesters. Any visa-free stay in Germany may not exceed 90 days within 180 days and additionally the cumulative days of internship may not exceed 90 days within one year. This privilege also applies to all other nationals that do not require visas for visits not exceeding 90 days within 180 days.

For internships exceeding the time limits outlined above, British citizens may apply for their residence permits with the local immigration office (“Ausländerbehörde”) after arrival in Germany and without having obtained a visa prior to travelling to Germany. Please note that you need to register your new residence (“Anmeldung”) with the authorities (“Meldebehörde”) within 2 weeks of having moved in and apply for your residence permit with the local immigration office (“Ausländerbehörde”) within the first 90 days of stay in Germany. This privilege is also extended to citizens of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Korea (Republic) and the United States of America. It is important to note that you may only start your internship once you have been issued a residence permit explicitly authorising the employment as an intern. British and other citizens privileged as above may also choose to apply for a visa prior to travel, effectively permitting employment as an intern from the first day of visa validity.

All other nationalities require a visa prior to travel to Germany.

General Information

Study-related internships exceeding 90 days (“Studienfachbezogenes Praktikum” within one year require ‘agreement’ (“Einvernehmen nach § 15 Nr. 6 BeschV”) by the Federal Employment Agency (“Bundesagentur für Arbeit”). Please note that only students currently enrolled at a UK university and having completed a minimum of four semesters in their current course of study may be granted agreement. This agreement needs to be applied for by the German hosting institution/company (guidance for the host is available here – in German).

How to apply for your visa:

1. Complete the online application form, print the form including the barcodes twice and sign both copies (application forms are required for each applicant separately; all children require separate forms).

2. Compile your supporting documentation:

  • 2 printouts of the online application form including barcodes
  • Valid passport signed by the holder, issued within the last 10 years and valid for at least 3 months beyond the validity of the visa applied for. The passport needs to have at least 2 subsequent blank pages.
  • 2 photocopies of the passport biodata page
  • Current UK residence permit (BRP)/ visa (foreign residents only).
  • 2 photocopies of the permit/ visa
  • 2 fully biometric passport photos, 35 x 45 mm, no older than three months. Digitally altered passport photos cannot be accepted.
    Please ensure that your photo adheres to German biometric requirements and is taken in front of a white/bright background.
  • Internship contract
  • 2 photocopies of the contract
  • Confirmation of agreement (“Einvernehmen”) by the Federal Employment Agency - Letter by the Federal Employment Agency confirming agreement (“Einvernehmen”) with a named student undertaking an internship with a named company (original and one photocopy).
  • Enrolment confirmation - Confirmation by UK university that student is currently enrolled indicating subject of course, dates of commencement and anticipated completion of course. Confirmation must indicate whether internship is voluntary or mandatory for the degree.
  • 2 photocopies of the contract
  • Evidence of sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay, such as
  • Internship remuneration of minimum EUR 939 gross/month
  • OR scholarship of minimum EUR 752 net/month
  • OR blocked account holding minimum EUR 752 net/month
  • OR formal obligation “Verpflichtungserklärung”
  • OR combination of the above
  • Confirmation of health insurance cover commensurate with the level of statutory German public health insurance (“gesetzliche Kankenversicherung”).
  • Academic curriculum vitae – in 2 copies.
  • Visa fees apply

  • Processing time: For some visa categories, we will require approval by other German government agencies, such as the Federal Employment Agency (“Bundesagentur für Arbeit”) or the local immigration office (“Ausländerbehörde”). If you have previously lived in Germany this will add to processing times, as the immigration office may need to look into your previous immigration record. Once a decision on your application has been taken, we will contact you.
  • In this visa category, based on previous experience most applications will usually be processed within 2 weeks. This also applies to accompanying family members.

  • Although we will provide you with a file number, please understand that we cannot respond to questions regarding the status of your visa application. Should we have any questions or should we require additional documentation to process your application, we will contact you.

3. Book an appointment to apply for your visa.

Where to book your appointment/ apply for your visa:

All internship visas must be applied for with a Visa Application Centre run by our external service provider, TLScontact.

TLScontact operates from both London and Edinburgh with two distinct jurisdictions and your place of residence determines which Visa Application Centre you will need to contact for your visa. Please refer to our consular district map for details.

Additional information

If your application is successful, you will be issued a limited validity entry visa - similar to a UK entry clearance. Once you have arrived in Germany please register your new residence with the local authorities (“Meldebehörde”) within 2 weeks of having moved in and apply for your Electronic Residence Permit with your local immigration office (“Ausländerbehörde”).

Further information on living and working in Germany is available here.

Top of page